Sayings of Mother Gavrilia (+1992), #2
- We become a reflection of heaven by saying “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
- He who loves is not aware of it, as he is not aware of his own breathing.
- Many times what God expects from us is the intention rather than the act itself. Our readiness to follow His commandment is enough for Him.
- A Christian must have reverence for the Mystery of Existence in everyone and everything.
- Never wish for anything but the will of God and accept with love any trials that may come your way.
- When we must be helped, God will send someone to us. We are all fellow travelers.
- The voice of God is silence.
— From The Ascetic of Love by Nun Gavrilia
Sayings of Mother Gavrilia (+1992), #1
- Any place may become a place of Resurrection, if the Humility of Christ becomes the way of our life.
- Orthodox spirituality is knowledge acquired through suffering rather than through learning.
- Do not wish for many things, whether they are within or out of reach. Instead, take care to sanctify the little you have.
- To learn to love God: this is the one and only education.
- Man wants his freedom. Why? So that he may be a slave to his own passions.
— from The Ascetic of Love by Nun Gavrilia
At some thoughts one stands perplexed, above all at the sight of human sin, and wonders whether to combat it by force or by humble love. Always decide ‘I will combat it by humble love.’ If you resolve on that once for all, you can conquer the whole world. Loving humility is a terrible force: it is the strongest of all things, and there is nothing else like it.
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov